Thursday, December 15, 2011

Field Trip # 5


To me the word “Downtown” sounds energetic, crowded, loud
and exciting place. However, when I went to downtown Fort Myers I observed the
complete opposite. For instance, it was quite, calm, and pretty empty. Instead of the city life I was imagining, I observed an environment where people prefer living on large acres of land and in gated communities. Walking up and down Fort Myers we observed several historical trademarks. For instance, there was a sign stating that the first concrete sidewalks were constructed in 1906 and prior to asphalt the roads use to be made of brick. Fort Myers has truly changed so much throughout the decades. For instance, Fort Myers use to be surrounded by farms and cattle that was the main income for many of the local people. However, today it is designed to please tourist and is considered the hub for business. It is a hot spot for boutiques, restaurants,jewelry and antique stores. In addition, the town was said to be the richest during World War II.

No comments:

Post a Comment